Thursday, April 15, 2010

Creativity, Compassion, and You

So, you should be well on your way with your Quality Projects. As I've said several times in class, you're all going to be moving in different directions, but each cycle I'm to have a big question that relates to developing your project and includes something to read together.

This cycle, I gave you Zell Kravinsky's "The Gift," which, I think, we could make a lot of comparisons to Kristof's NYTimes piece from last cycle. Let's do that. But that's a pretty easy comparison. I want to crank it up a notch: here's something to watch.

After viewing the talk, comment on this post with:

1. In your own words, what is Zell's thesis, and what is Sir Ken's thesis?
2. How and where do they connect and intersect?
3. What are the applications to your project?



17 comments:

Hailee said...

I really like how he added humor to his presentation because it made the topic he was talking about more interesting and enjoyable to listen to.

Poptarts said...

1. In your own words, what is Zell's thesis, and what is Sir Ken's thesis?

I believe Sir Ken's thesis is that a school based environment and some education takes away from creativity and that we grow out of creativity as we become an adult.

Katelynn said...

I think his speech relates to my quality project because he talks about how different people from different age groups view the world in different ways. My project will show everyone else what my perspective of the world is.

Morgan said...

Zell Kravinsky's thesis is that his purpose in life is to serve others--those less fortunate than he is. His purpose in life is to help others if he is capable of doing so or if a way that he can help exists, no matter how out-there or extreme it may be. Sir Ken's thesis is that everyone was born with a purpose and with a passion and that we need to care about those passions, follow them, and live them out.

Mark said...

Zell's and Sir Ken's ideas intersect with their ideas of contributing to society. Despite the fact that Zell is contributing things like money and his own liver to others and Sir Ken talks about the power of creativity, it's hard to deny that they both know the power of giving to others.

Kaimana said...

1. In your own words, what is Zell's thesis, and what is Sir Ken's thesis? - I think that this thesis is that you need to do what you want to do. I think this because If you don't do what you want or if others make you do their thing then you will hate life. And it is impossible to live a life that you don't want to.

Hailee said...

I think he had really good ideas that i also agree with. his example of the girl who just liked to dance made me really re think why math is more important than dance.

Trevor Mow said...

I thought his concept that education is actually killing our creativity was interesting.

Maximuso said...

1. I thought that Zell's thesis was that you can never give enough for the unfortunate, but there is always some service or donation for the needy. I thought that the thesis that Sir Ken was trying to portray was that it is vital that we embrace our creativity and not ignore or destroy it.

2. They connected in a sense that we need to do something to change what is going on right now in our world. And that we can make a huge difference in education and in donating a part of us to change lives around the world.

Ryan R. said...

One way that Sir Ken Robinson's video helped me out with my project is that it pushed me to do more and be more creative.

Anonymous said...

i think that Ken's thesis is something along the lines of: This world is in a decline, and only our children can make a difference if we allow them to hold onto their creativity. while Zell's thesis is more along the lines of: this is our world and we should contribute what we can to it.
these connect because both men would like to help the earth that we live in as well as the people who live in it. but they counteract with the fact that one says, the children can save us, while the other says, do what you can.

Trevor Mow said...

I thought this

Kellen said...

1. I believe that Sir Ken's thesis is that the world's means of education discourages creativity in children. Kravinsky's thesis is that we should live the world for the other people and do as much as you can for the greater good.

Me said...

Zell's thesis is that give what you can. And Ken's thesis is that creativity is just as important as standard education. The two thesis connect because both of them are contributing factors to humanity. This is because both are able to help another person's well being and make living easier and more open. This relates to the quality project because the quality project is a contribution to ideas but they are original. They are a collection of ideas that one is interested and skilled in that others can learn from

Nicole T. said...

Zell's thesis was to be generous, by giving a kidney, which I think is pretty extreme, he showed his motivation to what he believes in. On the other hand, Sir Ken's thesis was based more on oneself. Sir Ken stated that everyone is born is a special purpose and that creativity is an important aspect to life and that we should live our lives through creativity.

Tyler L said...

1. In your own words, what is Zell's thesis, and what is Sir Ken's thesis?

To me his thesis meant that you should live life to the fullest and not let people influence you're life. You should have your own opinion on life and what you do.

Jaren M. said...

This relates to my quality project because the main thing that this project deals with is creativity. It also has to do with freedom and this project has a lot to do with freedom.